Saturday 25 June 2011

Gearbox Refitting - Part 1

After the long day yesterday I was shattered and stiff!

It was Saturday so only half a day was available with Steve. He said we would do as much as we could this morning, but I needed go get some bits because there were a few parts that were worth replacing whilst we were there because they cost pennies and we would hate to waste all this work by having a cleap part fail.

First was the slipper pads and clips that Steve had assumed would come with the clutch fork, and the second was the engine mounting bushes which were looking split and may a well be changed while we were there.

Old and new Clutch forks - the old one has slipper pads which I needed to get for the new one and has the actuating rod wired in place whch steve said was actually not a bad idea as the plastic clips have a habit of breaking when you put them in - he has a technique mind you so we didn't need to do it that way.


So first stop of the day was Bearmach our local Land Rover parts dealer and located in a very useful place not much of a detour to Steve's workshop

Once I got to Steve's he focused on fitting the new clutch and I worked on transferring parts from the old Gearbox to the new one. Of course Steve was soon ahead of me so came across to complete the work I was doing slowly.


Steve fitting the clutch fork into the newly refitted bell housing

And also helped out with the recalcitrant nuts on the old engine mounting bracket which stood no chance when faced with the full force of his cutting torch. If you read the removal section you will heave learned that I'd been oiling all the nuts and bolts for days before starting and this was the only one we had trouble with so it must have done some good.


It stood no chance 

After that it was remarkably smooth with the main gearbox and clutch going back into place in only about 20 minutes and with the clutch going straight into place first time. Steve's technique with the trolley jack on a steel plate across the pit, and also in raising the front of the engine using another jack and wooden post fitted under the front ofnthe engine made really short work out of what was possibly a very long job.


New Main Gearbox in place!   Now I really hurt!

That's all we had time for today

4 comments:

  1. You have proved the point it ain't "rocket science" it sure is bloody hard work though but very rewarding and think how much money you save doing it yourself. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tony thnaks for the comment

    It ain't rocket science, but I do give a lot of credit to the advice and help of my expert mentor Steve Walford who knows more about engines that I will ever

    It's still great to have been his apprentice through this work and becauswe of it I will be able to take on many more jobs myself with a greatly increased confidence

    Regards
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What oil do you use as a general rule for the transmission when replacing it? I have been advised that this one is pretty good Millers Oil. I was thinking that if I am taking it apart I may as well stick something decent in

    Thanks in advance
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit I drive around to bearmach (about 10 minutes from here) and use whatever is on the shelf.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be submitted for moderation because of spammers we have to do this sorry