Saturday 25 June 2011

Gearbox Removal in Many Painful Steps

The first phase in replacing a gearbox is to get the old one out

It sounds simple doesn't it

I had a quote from a friend to start me off 

"I've done a few clutch swop's on l/rs and that is a serious proposition on the driveway!

Gearbox with handbrake, transfer box and low ratio units is a big heavy b****d to try and maneuver when you are lying on your back in a pool of oil.

Big axle stands, trolley jack, etc required and you will invest blood, sweat and the skin off your knuckles.

I also have memories of hiring an engine hoist (reach in through the open door to support the gearbox) and using lots of ex-caving slings and crabs to support stuff! Rewarding when you do it successfully though and it all works."

Seriously Malcolm how hard can it really be ? 

Let's find out ... Here's how we started that's an LT230 Transfer box in the middle and the transmission brake to the right with propshafts leading to the front (left) and the back (right) ... see how much I've learned already :-)


Steve had agreed to provide expertise and facilities and was happy I could do as much as I could so suggested I got underneath and started removing a few bits that would be in the way, and give us some room to work.

First went the rear propshaft and then the front was disconnected from the transfer box. I had been recommended a propshaft nut removal tool by many people on the internet Land Rover forums, but I have to admit now to being unconvinced and it's about 50:50 as to whether each bolt was removed using this tool or just a plain old  pair of spanners. The tool was OK, but if it got stuck it's hard to reposition or remove and replace.



Then the next step was to start disconnecting all the things attached to the gearbox and as many of them were on the top it would be best to remove the centre console and get access from the top so out came a whole load of the interior and we started in from that direction as well and here's the scene of devastation that soon ensued with Malcolm's words ringing in my ears.


The transmission brake which yuo can seein the picture below was then removed, which was a really simple job and some good news for me is the shoes and springs look OK so I get to save some money.


The next step was to remove a section of exhaust that was in the way and then remove one of the engine mounting brackets (which look a bit tired as you can see so we're replacing them), we then added a bottle jack to support the main gearbox so we could loosen off the other bracket and we were finally getting close to being able to get at least the Transfer box out.



Back up on top I had to disconnect some more wire's I found which are just twisted together as a connection and then attach a safety rope to the transfer box which was lashed to a crowbar which was placed across the 2 front seat bases, and another in my hand so I could maneuvre it.

Then with much more sweat and nearly a few curse words it was loose, and then Steve was called away, so I was suddenly left alone with a rope in each hand and a very loose Transfer Box. There seemed to be only one thing to do so I wriggled it off the last inch of gearbox spline and lowered it down onto the boards below with a heavy thud!


Now this all sounds OK doesn't it, but it had taken me from 8:30 until about 4:00 which I suspect is a lot longer than Steve would have taken if I'd just paid him to do the job instead of offering to be his apprentice for the day.

Having removed it I can see the state of the gearbox spline and we both agreed it was confirmed that this job was entirely necessary and probably somewhat overdue as you can see by the state of the gearbox spline that's now showing. We also decided that someone probably knew there was a problem given the goo that passed for oil on the spline we wondered what had been put in there?




Now the hard bit :-(

Steve had another unexpected visitor with a possibly blown head gasket so I was left to get on with removing all the clutch bell housing bolts and connections. In order to get to the ones on top the air filter needed to come out and now I can just how bad the rubber bushes under the clamp plate for it are (of you look closely below you will see one was held in place with a jubilee clip), so will need replacements.



I'd been applying "shock and unlock" , and WD40 liberally to bolts for a few days leadin gup to this work to ensure it had time to fully lubricate the threads and give us a good chance of removing them rather then cutting them. it really paid off when it came to removing the front crossmmeber as you can see from below where all the bolts came out easily leaving us just needing to spread the chassis a little with one of Steve's hydraulic jacks in order to lower it out



I struggled for ages trying to free up the handbrake to remove it and then Steve came back and showed me the correct bolts to undo which made the job a lot faster. The good news was that all of the clutch bell housing bolts came out easily ( I was surprised) and then the whole gearbox came loose.

Knowing how heavy it was I thought to stop here. Soon Steve was back and with both of us and some ropes to stabilise it and then in with a metal plate and trolley jack to take the weight and with one final heave it all came loose, and with a little more manhandling it was all out.

So here it is  in all it's glory, Gearbox and clutch bell housing removed as a single lump. It was now 6:30pm and I admit to being entirely shattered so it's time to go home !

Of course that's only half the job !

2 comments:

  1. Well done! ...and great to see that you took the time to photograph it all. I never seem to have anything "spare" to document the jobs I do, and stuff like this is really useful - streets ahead of Mr Haynes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for the nice words.

      When I stated this project I decided I needed to record what I had done in order to be able to do it again if needed. Doing it via this on-line form has proved a lot of fun and I get nice comments from people who find it useful - your feedback is very much appreciated

      Regards
      Andy

      Delete

Your comment will be submitted for moderation because of spammers we have to do this sorry