Saturday 14 January 2012

More Tyre problems

I had a call from the Security guys at work today

"Is that your truck? Do you know you have a flat tyre?"

That wasn't what I wanted to hear, but it got a lot worse from there and once again I've learned a lot

This was the sight that greeted me...


OK I thought get the spare down and change it...

First I had to get the car in the space next to Kart moved and then I got the wheel down.

Out with the jack and started lifting her up only to discover that the jack wasn't tall enough to lift her off the ground. So I had to call GEM to get someone with a bigger one to lift her up

After work I popped over to Celtic tyres who diagnosed a problem with the inner tube caused by a label on the inside of the tyre. Apparently when a label is present it causes friction on the inside of the tyre onto the inner tube to be concentrated in one place and is a common cause of issues. The tube was shot with a small tear along the side of this label mark.

So they fitted a new inner tube  as you can see below, refitted the tyre and all seemed well...


Until Friday ...

All looked OK from a distance, but when I got closer it was clear that tyre was soft. I really didn't want to call the breakdown people twice for the same fault as that just makes you look dozy so I went hunting for a solution at work 

I found a nice large breeze block that proved to be too big and then some paver bricks that were just fine to get the wheel off, but when I tried getting the fully inflated one back on the lift had been just a little short, but with some kicking of the tyre it popped into place and we were away 

So today (Saturday) I'm going shopping. First to another tyre garage to get to the root cause and then to get a bigger bottle jack

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be submitted for moderation because of spammers we have to do this sorry