Monday 30 May 2011

Little Bits and Pieces

It's been a while since I posted

This is because I've been doing research and getting ready for our gearbox investigation / swap exercise which will be coming soon and hopefully with loads of pictures

There have been some minor bits of work going on however

In the electrics I've found a replacement for the faulty switch that was preventing the instrument cluster lights from coming on. When I took the old one out it was held in with something that looked like a blue foam type gap filling adhesive and clearly broken. Mind you now I think the instrument lighting is rubbish so I need to look into how to take the binnacle apart and check all the bulbs are OK

In the rust reduction/prevention exercise I am currently working on cleaning all of the underside with a wire brush and getting ready to coat it with some form of rust prevention. I haven't decided what this will be yet as I'm undecided between the various modern complex systems or the old fashioned old engine oil and diesel as recommended by the father-in-law. Doing it by hand may seem a strange way to do it, but it is giving me an opportunity to inspect every last inch in some detail and doesn't have the risk of spraying water up somewhere it should not be. The amount of Saharan sand I'm getting out means I need to think about a bucket and spade to play with

I've also been oiling every nut, bolt and screw I can see under there with WD-40 and 3-in-1 in order to hopefully make the next stages of refurbishment a little easier. I've been recommended Freeze and Release for the ones that won't move and I've just bought some of Halford's equivalent to give it a go

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be submitted for moderation because of spammers we have to do this sorry