Sunday 9 October 2011

Today I failed to fit a new exhaust - Twice !

Some time ago I bought a new 300TDi rear section for my 127 (it's the same as the 110) having got it I realised it had 2 hole flanges not 3 hole like the piece it needed to mate to. The system changes part way down - presumably because of an engine swap

So I went to Bearmach and got another, this one. The conversation went something like this

"I need a new rear exhaust section for my Ambulance which is outside" I say pointing at it
"What wheelbase?" says the man behind the counter
"127"
"That's not in our system"
"It will be the same as a 110, there is simply an extra section in the middle"
"OK. What engine?"
"300TDi, but that's not relevant, it was probably a V8 Petrol, but I'm not sure"
"What?" He's starting to think I am a wind up merchant
"It's not original, and the system changes part way down from a 2 hole flange to a three hole flange"
"So What do you want?"
"You to bring a selection out so I can go underneath and see what fits"
"Are you serious" He's starting to be P**d off
"Yes!"

So one of the team went and found some, and I went underneath and held it in place and it looked OK

However when I got to change it today, even though the pipe is the same, has the flared end section it is not flared out enough to go over the centre section joint.

I've still got them both and I'm thinking that I'll need to cut the end off both, transfer the 3 hole flange to the other with the bigger flare and get someone to weld it back on for me. It would be OK if I could weld - I can't find evening classes in Cardiff to learn.

Or it's buy a third and hope I've got it right that time

Sigh !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be submitted for moderation because of spammers we have to do this sorry