Sunday 24 April 2011

Serial Killer

I've been in discussion with the various helpful people on Land Rover Owner and Land Rover Addict and the question keeps coming up as to what gearbox I have

So I decided to get the camera out and record it properly - it's not that clear, but there is definitely a J at the end


Looking at various websites I am told that a J suffix is a Series 1 Discovery R380 Gearbox. This fits with the Discovery type gearsticks and the description of having a discovery engine so I think we've tracked it down for sure.

Also playing with Ashcrofts' transmission ratio calculator with this information and the transfer box information I posted earlier I am now even more convinced that a move to a 1:1.4 defender transfer box is sensible and it could even be worth trying a Discovery Transfer box with a 1:1.2 ratio, but that may be too much as Katy (like me) is no lightweight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be submitted for moderation because of spammers we have to do this sorry